Wednesday 21 October 2015

Thursday 15 October 2015

We pulled pins at 8.45am.  We are heading for Apsley today 14 locks further down the Grand Union.  We don't want to go too quickly - we have confirmed our arrival at Carthagena, where we are staying for the winter, for Sunday 25 October.  I can't believe how quickly the time has gone since we left Ely on 2 April.  We are already planning our route for next year.

The water level was quite high today and at many locks the water was flowing over the tops of the lock gates which makes pushing them open pretty hard.  I did the first seven on my own but could not get the gate open at Sewer Lock so we swapped places but even Steve couldn't get it open so we had to tie the boat up and both push the gate open.  I decided that I would stay on the boat and Steve could do the next few - we arrived at the next lock and there was a boat coming the other way so the guy says to Steve you go ahead and open the swing bridge I will do the lock for you, so he got away with the first one.  Though the swing bridge and I arrive at the next lock where a guy is already there and opens the gate for me then closes it behind and opens the paddles the other end - so Steve has now done two locks but actually hasn't done any!!!

He did have to do the next few.  We arrived at Apsley and decided that we would stop for the night - back in April we wouldn't have stayed here but you become acclimatised to canal life and realise that where there are other boats it generally is safe to moor.

I tried to buy a new laptop today as there is a PC World here but they can't set it up for two days so we will just have to wait.





Leaving Berkhamsted and the poo!

We do like here.

Angry Swan!

I don't think you will find many fish up there!

Muller....rice, rice baby!

A boat!

Making bubbles!

Great name!

No comments:

Post a Comment